Coronavirus got you homebound with nothing to do? Try your hand at fantasy collecting and see how your picks fare. The first five people to post their choices will be spotlighted in the next blog. (I would do more than five, but I do have a life away from my keyboard.)
You have exactly $2,000 to spend on any comics of any grade you want. Based on current fair market values calculated by GoCollect, which ones do you invest in? Post your picks in the comments, and we’ll update after a month.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Think of it as fantasy football for comic nerds like us. Instead of watching ESPN for statistical updates, we’ll be watching the GoCollect tracker.
What you’re looking for are the comics that can turn the biggest profits over your initial investments. Once you post your picks, there’s no changing your mind until this time next month.
At the end of the month, you can “sell” based on the current average of that comic at that grade. Any profit or loss is reflected in your total. For instance, let’s say I “buy” a 4.0 Fantastic Four #48 at the current FMV of $850. If a month from now the FMV rises to $950, and I decide to sell, that’s an extra $100 for my fantasy budget. On the flip side, if I sell after a loss, then I have to subtract that from the budget.
This will evolve from month to month, and I am open to suggestions in the comments. For starters, here are some rules to serve as the groundwork.
- This is only for graded comics and their averages based on current values calculated by GoCollect.
- You can only buy one grade per comic, so no buying $2k’s worth of one hot book.
- Once you post your pics, they are locked for a month.
- You can have as many or as few comics as you like just so long as you don’t exceed the $2k budget.
- Only comics with a GoCollect Fair Market Value can be used. Sorry, no Batman #89 just yet since it’s too new to have a listed FMV on the database.
- Universal grades only.
- At the end of each month, the winner is determined by the biggest profit margin over the initial $2k budget.
Did I leave out any rules? Need anything clarified? Have some ideas to make the game better or easier to play? Let me know in the comments. On to the initial picks!
Now for the fun part: the picks. I went with mostly safe picks to start with, and I aimed at the first appearances of Silver Surfer, Wolverine, Carnage, and Rogue since there’s movie talk about each of them. If there happens to be an announcement or a credible rumor, it will blow the roof off their values, and I’ll be looking at major profits.
Current FMV: $850
Current FMV: $700
Current FMV: $350
Current FMV: $100
TOTAL SPENT: $2,000