Media Release — The 2018 Eisner Award nominations recognized IDW Publishing and its imprints, Top Shelf, The Library of American Comics, EuroComics, and Yoe! Books, with a combined eight nods (seven nominations and one shared nomination) this year, with books being represented in multiple categories including Best Publication for Kids, Best Reality-Based Work, Best Archival Collection/Project—Strips, and more. The prestigious award ceremony, held annually at San Diego Comic-Con International, honors exemplary work from the past year in comics.
The 2018 Eisner Nominees include:
- Best Publication for Kids: Home Time Book One: Under the River, by Campbell Whyte (Top Shelf/IDW)
- Best Reality-Based Work: Calamity Jane: The Calamitous Life of Martha Jane Cannary, 1852–1903, by Christian Perrissin and Matthieu Blanchin, translated by Diana Schutz and Branden Kandor (IDW)
- Best Reality-Based Work: Lennon: The New York Years, by David Foenkinos, Corbeyran, and Horne, translated by Ivanka Hahnenberger (IDW)
- Best U.S. Edition of International Material: Flight of the Raven, by Jean-Pierre Gilbert, translated by Diana Schutz and Branden Kander (EuroComics/IDW)
- Best Archival Collection/Project — Strips: Star Wars: The Classic Newspaper Strips, Vol. 1, by Russ Manning et al., edited by Dean Mullaney (LOAC/IDW)
- Best Archival Collection/Project — Comic Books: Behaving MADly, written and compiled by Ger Alpeldoorn and Craig Yoe, produced by Clizia Gussoni (Yoe Books/IDW)
- Best Painter / Multimedia Artist (Interior Art): Jean-Pierre Gilbert, Flight of the Raven (EuroComics/IDW)
- Best Lettering: John Workman, Mother Panic (DC Young Animal); Ragnarok (IDW)
“It’s really nice to see the comics community recognize the amazing level of craftsmanship and skill in Campbell Whyte’s Home Time. I’m overwhelmed by it every time I open it myself,” says Chris Staros, Editor-in-Chief of Top Shelf Productions.
“What a pleasure it was to edit another book by Russ Manning… and on Star Wars, no less. This is a great bookend to our Complete Tarzan Newspaper Strips by Russ that won the Eisner a few years back,” says Dean Mullaney, Editor of The Library of American Comics.
“Who knew that Behaving MADly might garner my co-author, Ger Apeldoorn, and myself the tremendous honor to receive an Eisner nomination,” says Yoe! Books Editor Craig Yoe. “Behaving MADly has been one of our most popular books. Now, we have our fingers, toes, eyes, and ears crossed that the voting fans, like the esteemed Eisner judges, behave madly, too!”
Justin Eisinger, Senior Editor for IDW, reflects on the reality-based works, Calamity Jane and Lennon, saying, “These nominations are a testament to the real-life characters that inhabit these tales, as well as the creative forces that put their stories down on paper. Thanks to their efforts, we can all have a further understanding and appreciation of a hard-charging female American legend like the incomparable Calamity Jane, or crawl inside the mind of John Lennon to inhabit pop music’s most influential personality. Both tales work so perfectly in graphic novel form. I am thrilled that the teams behind these books have earned additional recognition for their contribution to our medium.”
“Diverse storytelling is at the heart of IDW, a founding principle expanded continuously through our many imprints,” says Greg Goldstein, President and Publisher of IDW Publishing. “We’re proud of all the writers, artists, and editors who invested so much of themselves into this year’s nominated projects, the talented people who pour pure passion into their work.”
Voting has begun on the 2018 nominees for the Will Eisner Awards and you can register to vote here.
IDW Media Holdings, Inc. (OCTQX: IDWM) is a fully integrated media company, which includes publishing, games, entertainment, and the San Diego Comic Art Gallery.
IDW Publishing’s comic book and graphic novel catalog includes some of the world’s most popular entertainment brands, including Transformers, My Little Pony, Star Trek, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, and Disney’s classic characters. At IDW’s core is its commitment to creator-owned comics including 30 Days of Night, Locke & Key, Wormwood, Ragnarök, V-Wars, and Archangel by bestselling sci-fi author William Gibson.
IDW Publishing is also home to the acclaimed and award-winning imprints; Top Shelf, The Library of American Comics, Yoe! Books, and Artist Editions, showcasing the greatest original art ever published in American comic books.
IDW Games’ diverse line-up includes the international phenomenon Machi Koro, as well as hit licensed games such as X-Files, Back to the Future, The Godfather, and TMNT.
IDW Entertainment serves as the worldwide distributor of Wynonna Earp airing on the Syfy Channel in the U.S. and is producing BBC America’s Dirk Gently, based on the bestseller by Douglas Adams starring Elijah Wood and Samuel Barnett.