This week, the collectible community saw some shady NFT dealing, Bob Dylan’s handwritten lyrics hit the auction block, and a rare Michael Jordan card set a fiery new record.
- The First Mile High Comics Catalog Is Now Itself Being Auctioned: This 52-page, three-section insert in issue #190 was Mile High Comics’ sales catalog for what we know as the Edgar Church Mile High pedigree collection, i.e. the greatest comic book collection of all time! While about 20% of the collection had been sold off prior to this being published, you have here the vast majority of the collection (14,000 comics) with original grades. Toning and light wear. In Very Good condition. Read more.
- THE MAY CGC SALE!- Psychedelic Art Exchange: This sale showcases an extensive selection of popular high-grade first printing posters featuring The Grateful Dead, Andy Warhol & The Velvet Underground, Jimi Hendrix, and many more. Several of the relics exhibited here are being offered to the collecting public for the first time with CGC certification! Read More.
- Bob Dylan’s Handwritten Lyrics to Blowin’ in The Wind: Bob Dylan’s handwritten lyrics to the legendary rock song Blowin’ in the Wind, two items relating to the Beatles (a signed photo and Paul’s stage-worn jacket), and guitars personally owned by Eric Clapton, Kurt Cobain, and Eddie Van Halen are expected top lots in Iconic Auctions’ online-only The Amazing Music Auction, online now, ending May 15th. Check out the auction here!
- MAY 2021 MEGA MONTHLY AUCTION ENDS MAY 18-20TH! AUCTION UNDERWAY: This month’s May Mega Monthly from ComicConnect contains a sweet selection of both raw and third-party graded issues of the Man Without Fear, plus group lots! From his first appearance in Daredevil #1 to his run-in with Spider-Man in Daredevil #16, collectors of every level can choose from a wide variety! With just over a week and a half to go, add to your watch lists and bid now!
- Video Games up for auction at Heritage: There’s still a little time left to check out this selection of video games up for auction. Heritage offers 79 lots, including a sealed Mega Man 6 – Wata 9.4 A+, sealed Super Mario Bros. 3 – Wata 9.4, and sealed Pokemon Red Version – Wata 8.0 A+, among plenty other exciting offerings. Time is almost out! Check out the auction here!
News from the World of Collectibles:
- DC Changes Digital-First Policy For Their Upcoming Comics: Bleeding Cool sources tell us that DC Comics has decided that going forward, Digital First titles will be for content specifically geared towards a digital audience rather than what has been seen as cannibalizing a print audience for digital. Read more.
- Lord of the Rings’ Boromir Returns with Iron Studios Statue: Lord of the Rings‘ Boromir is becoming a collectible figure, courtesy of Iron Studios. Measuring 9 in (H) x 5.1 in (W) x 5.1 in (L), the hand-painted collectible statue depicts Sean Bean’s portrayal of the character from Peter Jackson’s The Fellowship of the Ring. The Boromir collectible figurine retails for $149.99 and is scheduled for release in the fourth quarter of 2021.
- Football Tom Brady used to throw first NFL touchdown auctioned: Lelands Auctions has just sold a very rare NFL pigskin. The football they got their hands on was the same one thrown on October 14, 2001, by Tom Brady against the San Diego Chargers. This would be later known as Brady’s first-ever touchdown ball thanks to his perfect 21-yard spiral to wide receiver Terry Glenn. The final amount has not been disclosed, but the starting bid for this massive piece of sports history was $75,000 USD.
- Rare Michael Jordan basketball card sets new record at auction: This signed card features a cut-up piece of MJ’s 1992 All-Star Jersey. The current top bid with buyer’s premium is $1,611,300, which already makes it the highest-priced MJ item ever at auction. There are still eleven days until the auction closes. For more information and to check out other auction items, click here.
- PMG-Graded $10,000 Note Scores Record $456,000 in Heritage Sale: An extremely rare banknote certified by Paper Money Guaranty (PMG) realized a record-setting $456,000 in a sale presented by Heritage Auctions. Three other PMG-graded notes also realized prices over $100,000 at the Central States Currency Signature Auction, held April 21-23, 2021.
- Michael Jordan’s game-worn UNC jersey just sold for a record $1.38M: This past Saturday, one of Michael Jordan’s game-worn jerseys from his days at the University of North Carolina smashed previous sale records, fetching $1.38 million through Heritage Auctions. The final sale value of the 1982-83 season jersey is noteworthy due to the fact that it was nearly three times the previous record for a game-worn MJ jersey.
- Phillips Auction Sets New World Record for Highest Price for a Patek Philippe: An exceptionally rare Patek Philippe world timer set two new world records over the weekend after realizing nearly $8 million at a nail-biting auction. The timepiece eclipsed its high estimate of $4 million by almost double to sell for an astronomical $7.8 million at Phillips’ Geneva watch sale on Saturday, May 8. According to Phillips, this is the most ever paid for a yellow gold wristwatch at auction. It’s also a record high for this particular model.
- Ultra-rare Meebit NFT minted via exploit sells for $765,000: An exploit in NFT platform Meebits allowed one user to cheat the system and get an ultra-rare NFT—which he immediately sold for 200 Ethereum (around $765,000 currently). As a “loyalty” gesture, Larva Labs awarded all existing CryptoPunks’ owners a certain number of tries to mint Meebits on a one-to-one basis. The rarity of freshly-minted Meebits was supposed to be random, akin to so-called “loot boxes” so popular among game developers today. However, some users quickly discovered a way to cheat the system by “rerolling” their Meebits. One such user decided to take full advantage of the NFT exploit. In the end, he managed to mint an ultra-rare “visitor” quality Meebit NFT and almost immediately put it on sale on the NFT marketplace. Pranksy, well-known crypto and NFT whale, then quickly bought the Meebit, potentially not even knowing about the exploit. Read more!
Take a Look:
- shopDisney Collectible Marvel Keys to Debut Later This Month: shopDisney has found a new collectible hit with their series of collectible keys, and this month is seeing the debut of a few options including a new key set based on Marvel. A brand new collectible key set will be available beginning 5/22. Read more.
- FCBD Preview: Vampire The Masquerade For Free Comic Book Day: Free Comics Book Day (FCBD) will be held on Saturday, August the 14th in 2021, with up to fifty free comic books available to be picked up by customers and visitors to comic shops the world over. Bleeding Cool has a crystal ball-look at a number of the titles, three months ahead. These include Vault Comics’ new take on Vampire: The Masquerade courtesy of Tim Seeley, Tini Howard, and Blake Howard. Read more.
- DC Reveals Stunning Batman Variant Cover For Pride Month: Pride Month is quickly approaching. DC is prepping for the celebration with a plethora of stories, character spotlights, and artwork. This now also includes a stunning variant cover for Batman #109. The unveiling of this cover comes along with an abundance of other sneak peeks at the celebratory June event including more art, panels from upcoming issues, and the official DC Pride logo.